Reading Slumps and How to Deal with Them
A reading slump is this thing you fall into in which you just don't have any motivation to read anymore. You might want to want to read, but you're not there yet. It feels like you just can't. Usually, that also means you can catch up on your series again, with all this extra free time.
It can be extremely frustrating, especially if you had set goals or get bored. That's why I decided to share some ideas with you to get out of your slump.
• Take a look at what you were reading. Maybe it just isn't that interesting, or not great for you at this time. Reevaluate and don't be afraid to put books aside. It might go better just because you don't feel like you HAVE to finish the boring book you were reading.
• Read something short. It will give you a sense of accomplishment and that might just be the push you need to get back in the game. Try a graphic novel or a novella.
• Try a different format. Who knows, you might turn out to love audio books because you can listen whilst your hands are busy. Or maybe you're more comfortable with ebooks. If it doesn't work, also fine, but at least you've tried.
• Reread one of your favourite books. You're guaranteed to enjoy it, and it might remind you that you love to read and you'll continue to do it.
• Similarly, start with something you haven't read but know you'll enjoy. That might be an anticipated release, a book that was recommended by someone who knows your taste, a sequel ... This will help if you're not someone who rereads books but you still need a book you really like.
• Buy a book (or visit the library). Maybe you don't have access to the right kind of story for you right now. Or maybe you just get excited by new books and want to read them immediately.
• Rearrange your bookshelves. Maybe you do have the right book but forgot about it. Sometimes just looking at books or spending time amongst them will spark your excitement again. And you might come across something you're so into you forget the rearranging thing 😊
• Try a different genre. This might not help at all because you can't get into it, but if that's the case, just let it go. Maybe though, it'll help because it's something completely different than what you're expected. More fast paced, or lighter, or character driven.
• Take a look at your TBR again. Maybe there are too many books for your liking and it will help to filter them. Or something might catch your eye in the process of looking through it.
• Start with something light/easy/cute/...
• Ride it out. It's sad, but sometimes that feels like it's the only option. You'll feel like reading again at some point, I promise. And in the meantime, enjoy yourself doing other nice things.
If you can figure out the reason for your slump, you can adjust and use the tips you think are fit for your situation. Keep in mind it doesn't always have a reason, but possible options are a book hangover, there's nothing available, you're overwhelmed by the books you have to read (no matter if it's you who says you have to or they're actually mandatory) or you feel pressured and don't enjoy it.
Last time I got in a slump I worked with a combination of trying books I enjoyed and waiting until it blew over. And afterwards, I had to pay attention for a bit to balance my books so that I did really enjoy most of my reads and didn't fall back into it.
How did you deal, last time you were in a reading slump?